Rollerball pens offer an alternative to the ballpoint pen as an everyday writing instrument. A rollerball pen provides a smooth writing experience similar to a fountain pen thanks to the fact that they use gel or water based ink.
If we can be of any help then please call the Office Allsorts team on 0115 9455833.
Rollerball pens provide the user with a smoother writing feel than ballpoint pens as the ink is water or gel based rather than oil based. Rollerball pens were designed to deliver the convenience of a ballpoint pen with the smooth writing performance of a fountain pen.
The rollerball pen has three main advantages over the ballpoint pen:
- Less pressure is required to make the pen write clearly which allows for a more relaxed and comfortable writing style.
- The choice of colours is much greater with rollerball pens due to the wider choice of water soluble dies available.
- Rollerball's will generally write more clearly and boldly than ballpoint pens.
The disadvantages of a Rollerball as opposed to a Ballpoint pen include:
- Water based inks is more likely to smudge than the oil based ink in ballpoint pens.
- Rollerballs with liquid ink may ‘bleed’ through poor quality paper. The effect is reduced if a gel based ink rollerball pen is used.
- They don’t tend to last as long as ballpoint pens as they use a greater amount of ink than ballpoint pens.
In terms of brands, look for the following tried and trusted makes;
5 Star Rollerball Pens - Our own economy brand